Mar 11, 2010

BLACK FRIAR PUB: Great Patio, Beware of D-bags

Black Friar Pub took a doomed spot that was once only supported by underage SMU frat guys and sorostitutes and turned it into an ideal spot for day drinking on a cool spring day.
Black Friar is located off of McKinney Avenue in the heart of Uptown Dallas and just across the street from it’s older sister, Idle Rich. It only took five years for the owners of Idle Rich to look across the street and say “Hey maybe a pub just like Idle Rich would work on the other side of the street.” Genius!
They did it and did it right because the patio offers an urban beer garden feel in the middle of Uptown. With long wooden tables supported by barrels, the large brick patio has a lot of seating and has two large wooden fences on the sides that are decorated with beer signs and greenery. The patio has a side bar that resembles a shack with two hot girl bartenders that I am pretty sure can kick my ass (I believe it was the tattoo sleeve on each arm that justified it). The place creates a comfortable feel that is conducive for socializing, people watching, flip cup (not quarters because the surface is not flat enough), and meeting new people after a few beers. The inside is small but has a warm feel, similar to Idle Rich but darker (I did not think this was possible). I have found that the bad lighting works out well for girls trying to hide cankles and guys from out of town looking to meet their one night soul mate. They have a good beer selection and for the most part the bartenders are friendly.
The downside, unless you like a plethora of d-bags throwing their pelvic area at your girlfriend, is that the guy to girl ratio can be a bit overwhelming on a Friday night. I got stuck between Cash McMogulson and Hugo from Lost on a Friday and I started having hot flashes. I seriously thought I was at La Boom in Cancun. However, if you are a single girl that does not mind a good dry hump with your Stella then this place is heaven.
Overall, amazing patio but beware of D-bags, myself included.
Black Friar Pub
2621 Mckinney Ave
Dallas, TX 75204
(214) 953-0599